Thursday, July 15, 2010

Family Day!

Family Day with Robert

I made it to the barracks about a half hour or so before the ceremony was to start. I found some of my favorite facebook friends and sat by them on the bleacher waiting for the soldiers to come out. They marched out in their class A uniforms, singing some cadence. And this is Robert's Platoon! The Spartans...Because they always line everyone up by height, Robert is always in the back...and you can't really see him! The commander gave a little history about the beret and then all of the soldiers bent down and rose (at the same time, which was really impressive!) with them on their heads. They also sang the Army Song, which was pretty cool when sung by about 240 new soldiers! After which they released the soldiers to their families for the day.

I have to share this picture of Robert's bunk mate ... meeting his son for the first time. Every time we saw him, he was holding his son. I also talked quite a bit with his wife, and I got to hold the little guy! Such a cute little baby, with a HEAD FULL of dark hair!
Perez and Baby Zach

The Gravel PIT

So before we left for "the real world" I wanted to see the gravel pit. So Robert took me there, and it was here that him and his platoon were "smoked" (punished, put in pain, etc.) 31 times in 10 weeks. I walked through it in my flip flops and sunk down. I can't imagine trying to RUN through it with drill sergeants yelling at you along the way!

We spent the rest of the day eating, shopping and TOTALLY RELAXING!! I'm glad that I thought about bringing Robert some "civvies" (normal clothes!) because I swear that was his favorite thing! Once he got those clothes on, he didn't want to go anywhere (because he'd have to change!). I honestly can't believe how much he slimmed down, because he ate like a HORSE!! Seemed like we were always eating! But I told him that he could have whatever he wanted, ended up being: Ihop omelet with pancakes, pizza and brownie, Baskin Robbins ice cream, and subway!
My Soldier!

I wanted to get a picture of Robert in his uniform before he left. I can't tell you how good he looked in it! He isn't suppose to really smile in uniform (just one of those crazy Army rules! The other one I didn't like was no PDA! How was I suppose to keep my hand out of his after 10 weeks!!!!) But he also had to leave to go back to the barracks, and I know he didn't want to and was kinda sad and tired too! But I wouldn't trade anything for that day!! It was the best day that I had in quite some time!

Me and My Soldier!
Here he is a little more happy!!
There was a beautiful sunset behind us, that the camera just couldn't capture.

No comments: